Riley has been reading a book written by Carl Sandburg about Abraham Lincoln. (Yes, of course it is for school.)
Last weekend a Lincoln celebration was held at the home of Sandburg, who won the Pulitzer Prize for his biography about Lincoln.
Since Sandburg's home place is in nearby Flat Rock, Riley and I headed north for the good times. We listened to another Lincoln biographer talk about conspiracy theories concerning Booth and enjoyed a concert by a fiddler/banjo player creating Civil War time tunes. We checked out the goats and listened to a couple play their hammered dulcimers. The best part, however, was listening and watching an Abe Lincoln impersonator - John Mansfield. He was great. Very Abe Lincoln-ish!
Actually, one of the best parts may have been the incredibly delicious barbecue we ate after the celebration down at Flat Rock Village at Hubba Hubba's Barbecue. Oh My!!
7 pieces of candy! Yum!:
Yay for abe lincoln. You sure Riley isn't reading that book for the fun of it? I know how kids are these days. :) Anyways, GREAT pictures Lacey. Keep up the good work! Hope to see you guys soon.
Oh yeah, is it getting too cold to go to the zoo down there? Will the animals still be out if we don't come down for a few weeks?
It really hasn't been too cold at all - I think the animals will be good - their homes are sort of small so they can't hide from people too well.
I am excited about you guys coming to visit though!!
goats playing hammered dulcimers...are you joking, lacey??
extremely interesting and talented ruminants
Uh... That's hilarious. You know, when I re-read that, I laughed out loud. What a sentence. You should have seen those goats - they were something else!
Wow , a Carl Sandburg reference and you didn't even mention that you are semi- related to him in a real long around the bend stretch of the imagination kind of way. Own that relatinship baby! I also love to read your blog however, it makes me feel totally inadequate as a mother, I was generally pretty happy if they could walk and chew gum at the same time.
October 11, 2008 7:19 AM
Post a Comment